We use cookies for statistical purposes.

Stockholm, Sweden clients(at)lawyerssweden.com (+44)203-287 0408

Our Articles

Moving to Sweden from Canada

Moving to Sweden from Canada

Foreign citizens who want to move to Sweden must comply with various requirements depending on their country of origin. This is also available for citizens of Canada interested in moving to Sweden.

Canadian citizens who want to immigrate to Sweden must complete specific formalities, in accordance with their reasons for relocation. Below, our immigration lawyer in Sweden provides detailed information on the immigration process and the visas required when moving here from Canada. You can rely on our team for assistance in various relocation matters, including on Swedish citizenship.

Requirements in order to immigrate to Sweden from Canada

Foreign citizens living in Canada can move to Sweden by applying for the same visas as citizens of other non-EU countries. This means they can either apply for work or business-related visas, but special categories of visas are also available for those who want to study or complete other activities in Sweden.

There are no special requirements in relation to the documents that need to be filed with the Swedish embassy when relocating to Sweden from Canada apart for the ones that prove the reason for immigration and a valid passport.

There is also the possibility for Canadian citizens established in other European countries, specifically EU member states, to freely travel to Sweden, however, for immigration purposes, they need to apply for specific types of residence permits.

A temporary residence permit can also be obtained through a work contract. You must submit an application for a permit extension if you want to prolong your stay in Sweden after your temporary residency expires. Depending on the kind of residency in Sweden you have requested, there are several application procedures. Remember that you have until your current residence permit expires to submit the application for a new one.

If you wish to immigrate to Sweden from the USA and need assistance, our immigration lawyer is at your service with complete information on the steps to complete.

We can assist with complete immigration services and guidance in obtaining a golden visa in Sweden.

Immigration to Sweden is quite simple and straightforward. We can offer guidance in obtaining a residence permit in Sweden through various means, as the procedure is the same. The documents to draft, however, are different based on the path chosen. So, contact us and find out the requirements you need to meet in order to live here.

The Youth Mobility Scheme in Sweden

Canada has good economic relations with numerous countries in Europe and Sweden makes no exception. The Youth Mobility Program is also available between Canada and Sweden, allowing Canadian citizens to immigrate to Sweden for determined periods under specific circumstances.

Before explaining the conditions of the program, here are the main categories of visas available when moving to Sweden from Canada:

  1. the Category A visa for post-secondary graduates who want to come for training in Sweden;
  2. the Category B visa for post-secondary graduates who want to complete the academic studies with a Swedish institution;
  3. the Category C visa for employees who want to develop their career through additional training;
  4. the Category D visa for post-secondary students who want to work for a limited period in Sweden (during vacation times);
  5. the Category E visa for young citizens who want to travel to Sweden and work during their vacations.

While for the last two categories of visas there are no special requirements, for the former ones, those relocating to Sweden from Canada even on a temporary basis must meet additional requisites. For A and C visa applicants, job offers, therefore, employment contracts must be secured prior to applying for the desired visas. In the case of B visa applicants, at least internship agreements are required. This is the safest way to obtain a residence permit in Sweden.

The other requirements for Canadian citizens are to be aged between 18 and 30 (30-year-old persons are also accepted) and to have Canadian valid passports.

Under this program, applicants can stay in Sweden for a maximum of 12 months and can participate twice, however, the second time, they must apply for a different visa of the same program.

If you consider the Working Holiday Visa program fits your relocation expectations, you can rely on our immigration lawyer in Sweden for assistance in preparing the immigration file.

Foreign citizens who want to move to Sweden can rely on the services provided by our local specialists. Our lawyers offer tailored support in terms of citizenship in Sweden. This means that each case and each client is treated individually for the best outcome. If you have had doubts in applying for a passport until now, you can leave your worries aside and discuss it with one of our specialists. Together, you will find the most appropriate solution.

How to obtain permanent residency in Sweden as a Canadian citizen

The usual way to permanent residency in Sweden implies living here for at least 5 years based on temporary residence permits. For those moving to Sweden from Canada as spouses of Swedish citizens, permanent residency is easy to acquire, as they can apply for settlement after 3 years of living here, provided that they have lived in this country in the past 2 years.

If you want to immigrate to Sweden from Canada and need assistance, we also offer various expat services, among which assistance in preparing the immigration documents. We can also help with housing, which implies preparing and reviewing rental or lease agreements, and with insurance services.

We can also assist citizens of other non-EU countries who want to immigrate to Sweden. Permanent residency can lead to citizenship.

As a general rule, a person must have resided in Sweden continuously for five years in order to become a citizen. Habitual residence implies someone who has lived in Sweden for a significant amount of time and plans to stay. Depending on the reason the individual settled here and the permits they held while they were here, it may be feasible to regard the entire amount of time spent here as a term of habitual residence with the purpose of applying for citizenship in Sweden.

Economic relations between Sweden and Canada

Sweden and Canada have good economic ties, according to information published by the Parliament of Canada and which is available for the years 2015 and 2016:

  • Canada is Sweden’s 26th largest trading partner in terms of goods;
  • Canada is also Sweden’s 24th largest partner in terms of services trade;
  • the international merchandise trading rates of Sweden represented 54.8% of Sweden’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP);
  • Sweden’s GDP per capita was49,200 USD in 2016.

For assistance in moving to Sweden from Canada, please contact our lawyers. If you are interested in immigration to Sweden, we can provide various expat services.