Citizens from all over the world are welcomed to move to Sweden, there it is no surprise that US citizens are also interested in relocating to this peaceful country. The requirements for those moving to Sweden from the UK and the EU are different from those applicable to US and Australian citizens, who are considered third-country inhabitants.
There are several types of visas under which US citizens can relocate to Sweden, among them the most sought ones referring to employment. Below, our immigration lawyer in Sweden presents the main ways in which a US citizen can move to this country.
Visas available for moving to Sweden from USA
There are various types of visas available for US citizens interested in immigration to Sweden, however, the easiest to obtain are the employment and business-related visas under which citizens of this country can live and work in Sweden.
The employment permit implies a job offer and a contract provided by a Swedish company that will be used with immigrating to Sweden.
Business visas are also available for US citizens who can relocate to Sweden and start their companies in which they can be employed. Self-employment can also be considered when moving to Sweden from USA.
There is also the possibility of enrolling with a Swedish university and move here based on a student visa. Following the termination of studies, US citizens have great chances of finding employment with local companies and moving here permanently.
Our immigration lawyers can offer detailed information on all types of visas associated with moving to Sweden from the US and other third-party countries.
Steps for immigrating to Sweden from the USA
The immigration procedure when moving to Sweden from USA will mainly depend on the relocation reason, however, the steps to be completed are usually the same. These imply:
- obtain an employment contract or enroll with a Swedish company, respectively accredited university;
- get in touch with the Swedish Embassy or one of the consular offices in the United States;
- file the documents in accordance with your immigration reason with the Swedish authorities;
- find a property to rent or even purchase in a Swedish city and relocate here;
- set up a bank account and register with the tax and social security authorities in Sweden.
Our immigration lawyer in Sweden can explain in detail the steps for moving to this country from the USA. We can also offer various tips on the easiest ways of finding housing in Stockholm or other important cities in the country.
Immigration by employment in Sweden from the USA
One of the easiest ways of moving to Sweden from USA is by employment. The work permit can be used for obtaining a temporary residence permit which can later be turned into a permanent residence visa and, if the US citizen wants, he or she can also apply for Swedish citizenship.
The following requirements must be met in order to obtain a Swedish work permit as a US citizen:
- a valid passport is required upon the time of the application for the employment pass;
- the work contract must correspond to the Swedish Labor Code and must contain specific provisions in accordance with the industry the US citizen will work in;
- the salary of the employee must enable him or her to financially support him/herself;
- the employer must provide health, life, pension and employment insurance.
Generally speaking, the minimum salary that satisfies the financial support of a Swedish citizen is around 13,000 SEK (Swedish krona) or approximately 1,300 US dollars.
Our immigration lawyer can offer more information on moving to Sweden from USA. We can also assist US citizens relocating here to register with the tax authority in Sweden.
Intra-company transfers as a way to move to Sweden from US
US citizens who work for companies with branches in Sweden can take advantage of the fact that they can get detached here based on intra-company transfers. This is a good option to get to know the business environment and labor market for those who want to establish themselves in this country.
Our immigration law firm in Sweden can help foreign citizens who want to move here from USA or other countries.
How to migrate to Sweden from USA through investment
Just like other countries in Europe, Sweden has enabled an investor visa for those interested in having their own businesses here. There are several requirements to meet in order to qualify as an investor in Sweden and US citizens must be aware of the following:
- they must be at least 18 years old when they apply for the visa;
- a clean criminal record is a mandatory condition to obtain such a visa;
- having good morals that must be documented is also a requirement;
- business management is one of the requirements for this residence permit.
In terms of investment, at least 100,000 euros or the equivalent in USD is required. This is one of the cheapest ways to immigrate to Europe from USA and Sweden is one of the most appreciated countries on the Old Continent from numerous points of view.
One of the main requirements to enter Sweden under this program is to start a business and a solid plan can help entrepreneurs in this endeavor.
If you are interested in moving to Sweden from USA under this option, our lawyers are at your service for assistance in preparing all the necessary paperwork for quick relocation.
Not only will this option enable you to have a stable income, but it will also allow you to enjoy one of the most competitive markets in the world with access to the entire European Union, as Swedish products are very appreciated.
What are the main benefits of migrating to Sweden from USA?
US citizens interested in a tranquil, yet sophisticated lifestyle will find it in Sweden. With stellar healthcare and education systems, Sweden is one of the most appreciated countries in Europe from these points of view.
For example, healthcare is free for most of the population, while mothers and children benefit from excellent care and protection. In terms of education, it is free for Swedish citizens, hence a good reason to decide to immigrate here from USA for good.
When it comes to employment conditions, these are similar to the ones in the US, as Sweden’s small economy is stable and strong. The salaries are good and match the high quality of life here.
Most foreign citizens who work in Sweden are well anchored in high-paying industries like IT, engineering, business management, science, and construction. Also, most Swedish people speak English which is an advantage for US citizens who will find it easy to communicate.
If the information above convinced you to choose and move to Sweden, you can contact our immigration lawyers to start preparing your relocation here.
The best places to move to Sweden from USA
There are several cities that provide excellent employment and business conditions for US citizens immigrating to Sweden and among them are:
- Stockholm, which apart from being the country’s capital, is the largest city in the Scandinavian Peninsula;
- Malmo which is a preferred destination for expats living in Sweden;
- Gothenburg which is the second-largest Swedish city and one of the greenest regions in the country;
- Uppsala is renowned for having one of the best universities in the world.
Sweden is proof that small countries have plenty of opportunities for people with different interests.
Moving to Sweden from USA is quite simple thanks to the few requirements and the procedure which is uncomplicated. Our lawyers can guide foreign citizens from all over the world who want to establish themselves in one of the remotest places in the world.
How to obtain citizenship in Sweden as a US citizen
In order to obtain Swedish citizenship, a US citizen must first obtain permanent residency. In order to obtain it, a US citizen must have lived in Sweden for at least 5 years. Then, the person can consider applying for Swedish citizenship. In order to become a Swedish citizen, one must prove he has integrated into society.
Sweden is one of the best countries in Northern Europe to move to and relocation is sought by both EU and non-EU citizens, among which there are also US citizens.
Here are some interesting statistics on immigration in Sweden:
- the total population of Sweden at the level of 2019 was 10, 327 million citizens;
- in the same years the number of immigrants increased by nearly 116,000;
- in 2019, the number of emigrants decreased by 47,718 citizens;
- the largest immigration period in Sweden was in the 1700’ies when many Jews and French citizens came here.
FAQ on US immigration to Sweden
- What is the simplest way of moving to Sweden from USA?
There are several pathways to migrate to Sweden from USA, business and employment being the most employed. Thanks to the fact visa applications are filed online, the procedure is the same for both options.
- Can I move with my family from the US?
Yes, it is possible for US citizens to relocate with their families to Sweden.
- How quick will I be granted permission to enter Sweden?
After filing the documents, it can take from few months up to one year to obtain the residence permit.
- Are there any difficulties I should be aware of if I want to migrate to Sweden from USA?
You should make sure you have all documents in place in order to avoid the Swedish authorities asking for more papers in order to delay your relocation date. Our lawyers can help in this regard.
For assistance in moving to Sweden from USA, do not hesitate to contact our immigration lawyers. We can handle the entire process for those who want to move to Sweden.