We use cookies for statistical purposes.

Furuvägen 14, 472 32 Svanesund, Sweden clients(at)lawyerssweden.com +46 70 419 44 36
Our Articles

Get Spouse Visa in Sweden

Get Spouse Visa in Sweden

Sweden is seen as one of the most attractive countries to live in Europe. This is one of the main reasons for which many foreign citizens established here seek to get a spouse visa in Sweden and reunite with their families.

In Sweden, the spouse visa requirements are slightly different compared to other countries, which is why if you want to bring your significant other to live with you can rely on our immigration lawyers for support. We are at your service with customized immigration services in Sweden.

Moving to Sweden under a dependent visa for a spouse

The first and most important aspect to consider when interested to get a spouse visa in Sweden is that this type of visa is actually a dependent visa. Obtaining it depends on the country of origin of the Swedish resident.

Here are the main categories of Swedish residents who can bring family members here:

  • those who are permanent residents of Sweden;
  • those who live in Sweden based on work permits;
  • those who live in Sweden based on ICT work permits or EU Blue Cards.

It is also worth noting that all persons entering the categories above can apply for a partner visa for Sweden, as they can bring not only one’s husband or wife but also a civil partner.

If you decide to get a spouse visa in Sweden, get in touch with us for information on the requirements for each category of residents. Our immigration lawyer in Sweden can explain if specific conditions must be met.

We can also help you apply for residency in Sweden. All you need to do is send us the requirements in accordance with the reason of relocation, so that we can assist in filing for a residence card. Contact our immigration lawyers if there is specific information you need in order to be able to move here as soon as possible.

We are also at the service of those who live in this country based on spouse visa and now qualify for Swedish citizenship by marriage.

Who can get a spouse visa in Sweden?

The Swedish authorities recognize the following categories of applicant for spouse visas:

  • persons who have registered their marriages in Sweden or abroad;
  • persons who are in registered civil partnerships;
  • persons who live together (cohabitate) in Sweden.

Our lawyers can offer more information on how Swedish law applies in these situations.

If you want to know what it implies to apply for Swedish citizenship, you can rely on our specialists for information. Our lawyers will explain each requirement, and documents to prepare in order to indicate your eligibility status. You can get in touch with our immigration experts any time to see if you meet the conditions to become a citizen of Sweden.

Living in Sweden and the spouse visa requirements

Compared to other European countries, when moving to Sweden with one spouse or applying for a dependent visa to bring one’s life partner, there are two situations that apply:

  • the first one under which the foreign spouse is granted a residence card;
  • the second one under which the foreign spouse will be granted a residence permit.

We remind you that in Sweden, the dependent visa for a spouse also implies for the partners have been together for a minimum period of 2 years. This influences whether the foreign partner will be granted a residence visa or permit.

Here is what you need to know in this sense:

  • persons who have lived with their spouses in their country of origin for at least 2 years will be granted permanent residence cards directly;
  • persons who have not lived in the Swedish resident’s home country together will be granted a one or 2-year residence permit at first.

In terms of documents for obtaining a partner visa in Sweden, there are a few differences when applying as a spouse or civil partner of a Swedish resident.

Feel free to address our immigration law firm in Sweden for guidance in drafting the necessary documents. If you are interested in Swedish citizenship by marriage, you can get in touch with our immigration lawyer who will help you verify your eligibility conditions.

Getting a spouse visa for Sweden as a dependent of a work permit holder

In Sweden, the regulations governing dependents of those with work permits are some of the most permissive. In terms of getting a spouse visa, the following family members are categorized as dependents for this sort of permit:

  • wife or husband;
  • registered partner;
  • cohabitant.

They must be financially supported by the Swedish partner to qualify. Parents or siblings are not considered dependents for the purposes of the above-mentioned permit types.

In terms of documents that need to be filed in order to get the partner visa, it is worth noting that married couples should obtain copies of their passports and the marriage certificate that must be translated into Swedish.

Those who are registered partners or live together and fall under the category of cohabitants must submit copies of their passports and proof of cohabitation. The foreign person must have lived together with the Swedish citizen for at least 6 months outside of Sweden in order to be considered a cohabiting partner. Also, other supporting documents can include:

  • a rental agreement (with both partners’ names on it);
  • proof of purchase for your home with a property title that has both people’s names on it;
  • bills from each person proving that you live at the same address;
  • a national registration document (social security number, employment contract), or any other documents demonstrating that you have resided at the same address for 6 months or more.

The length of time it takes to process your spouse visa depends on various factors. For example, it may take 16 months to process an application to move in with a spouse. The processing time for children over the age of 18 can take 12 months, and applications for children under the age of 18 to move in with their parents can take up to 13 months.

An advantage for those who are already married is that it becomes easier to get Swedish citizenship by marriage in the case of foreigners, as they no longer have to wait for the aforementioned time frames.

If you want to apply for residency in Sweden, you can rely on our immigration lawyers. Following that, you can qualify for a Swedish passport.

How soon can one get a spouse visa in Sweden?

In Sweden, the dependent visa for a spouse is issued in approximately one month, which is quite fast compared to other states.

With respect to the family living costs as a foreigner in Sweden, you should consider the following:

  • the average rent for an apartment ranges from 670 EUR to 1,400 EUR depending on the city you live in;
  • basic utilities costs are around 80 EUR per month;
  • if you want to buy a property here, the price per square meter starts at 3,750 EUR.

Living conditions

Apart from having to meet legal requirements with respect to documents you need to file to get a spouse visa for Sweden, the resident or citizen you come to live with must also comply with certain living conditions.

In most situations, the person you will live with in Sweden must be able to support you both. When you relocate to Sweden, he or she must also have a space that is big enough and meets the regular living standards so that you can live together.

Getting Swedish citizenship by marriage based on a spouse visa

Just like in other countries, marriage is one of the easiest or fastest ways to acquire citizenship in Sweden. If you have already moved here based on a spouse visa and have been married to your wife or husband for 3 years and have lived together for at least 2 years, you can apply for a passport.

Our immigration specialists are at your service if you want to apply for Swedish citizenship by marriage and obtain all the benefits that come with this status. We are also at your service if you want to bring other family members to Sweden.

If you have decided to get a spouse visa in Sweden for your wife or husband, contact our immigration lawyer for assistance.